Baptized Catholics who may be in danger of death from illness or old age or are about to undergo surgery or suffer from a chronic condition or illness may request this Sacrament by calling the Rectory at 610-539-5572.
What is Anointing of the Sick?
The Anointing of the Sick is the sacrament the Church confers on those in danger of death through grave illness or old age. It consists of the anointing of the individual with special oil and the prayer of the priest. The Catechism of the Catholic Church lists the following as the special graces of this sacrament:
- The uniting of the sick person to the passion of Christ, for his own good and that of the whole Church
- The strengthening, peace, and courage to endure in a Christian manner the sufferings of illness or old age
- The forgiveness of sins, if the sick person was not able to obtain it through the sacrament of Penance
- The restoration of health, if it is conducive to the salvation of his soul
- The preparation for passing over to eternal life